We’re baking Cheese & Spinach Scones, and making a carrot & apple slaw to go with.
Separately they make a delicious, wholesome snack but are brilliant as well rounded nutritious lunch.
CHEESE & SPINACH SCONES
- 250g Wholemeal Flour or plain/spelt works well (plus extra for the kneading)
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- Pinch Salt
- 50g Cold Unsalted Butter
- 100g Cheddar or Feta
- 50g Baby Spinach
- 250ml Milk
EQUIPMENT: Mixing bowl, Scales, Wooden Spoon, Baking Tray, Table knife
1. Preheat the oven to 220˚ C
2. In a bowl add the flour, salt and baking powder, mix well.
3. Chop the cold butter into very small cubes, then add to the flour.
4. Using your fingers crumble the flour and butter together until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs.
5. Rip up the spinach, crumble the cheese and add to the bowl, then slowly stir in the milk.
6. Once the dough comes together, turn out onto a floured surface, and knead together for 5 minutes.
7. Place the dough onto a piece of parchment paper and then flatten and shape the dough into 1 large roundabout 2-3cm thick. Score the dough with 3 lines to create 6 wedges.
8. Leave the dough to prove for 5 minutes in a warm area. The dough should puff up a little.
9. Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden on the top and edges.
Feel free to get creative with your fillings, adding things like diced peppers, spring onions, sorrel etc.
This recipe works well with alternative gluten-free flours or non-dairy butter, cheese, milk.
APPLE & CARROT SLAW
- 2 Tablespoons Pumpkin/Sunflower Seeds
- 1 Red Apple
- 1 Large Carrot
- 1/2 Lemon
- 1/4 Crunchy lettuce e.g. cos, romaine, little gem or iceberg
- 5g Fresh Parsley or chives
- 1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
EQUIPMENT: Frying Pan, Mixing Bowl, Grater, Spoon, Sharp Knife, Chopping Board
1. Add the seeds to a frying pan and turn onto medium-high heat. Once the seeds start to pop (approximately after 4-5 minutes), turn the heat off and stir the seeds. Leave to cool.
2. Cut the apple into quarters, then carefully cut out the seeds, then grate into a bowl
3. Wash the carrot, then grate into the bowl on top of the apple.
4. Squeeze over the lemon and pick and rip the herbs into the bowl, mix together.
5. Thinly slice the lettuce, mix into the bowl with the olive oil.
6. Sprinkle the toasted seeds over the top and serve.